|Monthly Federal Surplus/Deficit (blue, right axis) and Total Federal Government Debt (red, left axis) since 1977|
- Total federal debt when Lugar went to DC in 1977: about $670 billion
- Total federal debt now (via US Debt Clock): about $15.64 trillion
- Before the May 8 Indiana primary, $15 trillion of new debt will have been added on Lugar's watch
- Total 2012 fiscal deficit to date (10/1/11 thru 3/31/12): $779 billion
- That's over $100 billion more than the total accumulated debt of the US when Lugar arrived in DC in 1977
Update: Thanks to Smitty at the OtherMcCain for the link!